[mythtv-users] More DRM for Frontier FIOS

Greg Woods greg at gregandeva.net
Mon Oct 31 13:59:53 UTC 2016

On Sun, Oct 30, 2016 at 11:11 AM, Simon Hobson <linux at thehobsons.co.uk>
wrote:

> hence it's in their interested to clamp down on such anti-corporate
> activities.

Yes, but it's not quite that simple. They also have to make sure their
customers don't bolt for other TV sources (such as the phone company or
satellite). If you're in an area where these other services cannot compete
for whatever reason, then they can afford to be less consumer-friendly. But
there are other pressures on them too; the content providers are a lot more
concerned about allowing the content to be used freely than the local cable
company is. Right now in my area,  Comcast must be experiencing a lot of
competition, as they have actually been quite helpful in finding ways to
save money on my bill, and only the premium channels are not copy-freely
(they probably have contractual obligations for the premiums). That may
change in the future of course, but for now, the cable card works well.

--Greg