[mythtv-users] More DRM for Frontier FIOS

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Mon Oct 31 16:18:21 UTC 2016

Greg Woods <greg at gregandeva.net> wrote:

> Yes, but it's not quite that simple. They also have to make sure their customers don't bolt for other TV sources (such as the phone company or satellite).

That's true - but if the competition is (eg) satellite which also forces you to use the providers equipment (as Sky does here in the UK) then it's not really the free competition we'd like. Plus, for the average users, they've been conditioned that cable, satellite, etc all need a provider's box - those of us here debating the issue don't even amount to a rounding error in their normal churn rates.

> Right now in my area,  Comcast must be experiencing a lot of competition, as they have actually been quite helpful in finding ways to save money on my bill, and only the premium channels are not copy-freely (they probably have contractual obligations for the premiums). That may change in the future of course, but for now, the cable card works well.

As I read things, enjoy it while it lasts !