[mythtv-users] Can MythTV do this?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Jan 31 01:23:25 UTC 2006

PAUL WILLIAMSON wrote:

>No.  You're missing the point.  Sharing Intelectual Property (TV
>shows) no matter how you obtained them is illegal without
>express written consent from the ip owner - it could be the
>NFL or MLB, or a station like FOX or NBC, or a service like
>iTunes where it's crippled by some crap DRM.  Technically,
>I can't even show a program I've recorded to people who
>are not regular inhabitants of my house (like a neighbor or
>my in-laws) without breaking US laws.

I've heard many takes on this one from yours to anyone can watch it as
long as it's played back by the original recording device (i.e. I record
it on my VCR, you have to play it back with my VCR), to played back by
the original recording device in the same location as it was recorded
(i.e. play it back with my VCR in my house), to watched once and only
once within 30 days (after 30 days you can't watch it because it's no
longer "time-shifting").  I think it all boils down to the fact US
copyright law was written before many of the things we can do today were
even possible, so the laws do not explicitly state what is and what is
not allowed; therefore, many people interpret the laws differently.
(Or, put another way, ask enough people and you'll find someone to
support your position on some restriction placed upon us by copyright laws.)

Mike