[mythtv-users] Can MythTV do this?

PAUL WILLIAMSON pwilliamson at mandtbank.com
Tue Jan 31 01:58:06 UTC 2006

>>> mtdean at thirdcontact.com 01/30/06 8:23 PM >>>
> PAUL WILLIAMSON wrote:
>
>>No.  You're missing the point.  Sharing Intelectual Property (TV
>>shows) no matter how you obtained them is illegal without
>>express written consent from the ip owner - it could be the
>>NFL or MLB, or a station like FOX or NBC, or a service like
>>iTunes where it's crippled by some crap DRM.  Technically,
>>I can't even show a program I've recorded to people who
>>are not regular inhabitants of my house (like a neighbor or
>>my in-laws) without breaking US laws.
>>

>I've heard many takes on this one from yours to anyone can watch
>it as long as it's played back by the original recording device (i.e.

>I record it on my VCR, you have to play it back with my VCR), to
>played back by the original recording device in the same location
>as it was recorded (i.e. play it back with my VCR in my house),
>to watched once and only once within 30 days (after 30 days
>you can't watch it because it's no longer "time-shifting").  I
>think it all boils down to the fact US copyright law was written
>before many of the things we can do today were even
>possible, so the laws do not explicitly state what is and what is
>not allowed; therefore, many people interpret the laws differently.
>(Or, put another way, ask enough people and you'll find someone
>to support your position on some restriction placed upon us by
>copyright laws.)

Very good points.

I didn't say I necessarily agree with it all.  I think it sucks that my

parents have a myth box in Maryland where I pay for the cable
and I have cable in New York.  I've got a vpn set up between
them and it works rather well with freeswan.  Under thee
current laws, I can copy between them with no problems,
which is kind of ironic.  I can't watch livetv because of
obvious bandwidth issues, but my name is on both
bills and I have rights to watch both feeds.  I love
MythTV.  Thanks Isaac and the rest of the developers.

Paul

Paul