[mythtv-users] lircrc questions -- was: playslist for recorded tv?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Jan 19 06:14:37 UTC 2006

Nick wrote:
> On 18/01/06, Matt Price <matt.price at utoronto.ca> wrote:
>> while we're on the subject of lircrc...  I have a couple of questions
>> about it.  I'd really like to map my "play" button to the "play"
>> function, which is currently mapped to "Ctrl+P" in the mythweb
>> bindings interface.  But I can't seem to figure out how to write
>> "control-P" properly in the lircrc file.  "Ctrl-P", "Ctrl+P", and
>> "\P", all seem to fail.  There are a couple of other control keys in
>> the standard keybindings; I'd like to be able to map them as well, if
>> possible.

There was a patch put in SVN a couple of months ago that added the
ability to use modifier keys in LIRC.  If using SVN, you use something
like "Alt+Esc" or "Ctrl+P" (no quotes).  If using 0.18.1 or below, you
don't use modifiers with Myth's native LIRC support (but can with irxevent).
>> in addition...
>>
>> I've had to reboot several times lately (mostly because of a buggy
>> power cable, I think), so I've noticed something I mightn't otherwise.
>> When I boot up, I autologin the mythtv user from gdm, which runs a
>> minimal wm & starts mythfrontend directly.  The first time I do
>> this after booting, mythfrontend doesn't seem to receive any
>> keypresses from the remote (though I can check with irw that the
>> remote is in fact sending, and lircd is up and receiving).  If I
>> /etc/init.d/gdm restart
>> then things seem to work fine again.  Anyone know what the deal is
>> with that?  Do I need to modify my init scripts somehow perhaps?
>>

> Could it be a focus issue (do the arrow keys work in mythfrontend
> after boot)? Maybe the LIRC drivers haven't loaded by the time
> mythfrontend starts?

If using Myth's native LIRC support focus cannot be an issue (if using
irxevent it can be).  It's more likely the driver issue you mentioned.

Mike