[mythtv-users] lircrc questions -- was: playslist for recorded tv?

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 03:30:40 UTC 2006

On 18/01/06, Matt Price <matt.price at utoronto.ca> wrote:

> while we're on the subject of lircrc...  I have a couple of questions
> about it.  I'd really like to map my "play" button to the "play"
> function, which is currently mapped to "Ctrl+P" in the mythweb
> bindings interface.  But I can't seem to figure out how to write
> "control-P" properly in the lircrc file.  "Ctrl-P", "Ctrl+P", and
> "\P", all seem to fail.  There are a couple of other control keys in
> the standard keybindings; I'd like to be able to map them as well, if
> possible.

You can use MythWeb to alter the Ctrl-P keybinding to something
simpler that doesn't clash (I use F2-F5 for extra buttons on my
remote). Then create/edit the entry for this in your lircrc file,
tieing the button to the command. You can then go one step further if
you want and create specific jumppoints (e.g. I have buttons called
TV, Videos, Pictures on a Hauppauge remote) that I have made jump into
LiveTV, MythVideo etc from wherever I am in the frontend.

I can't offer any concrete advice on using keystroke combinations in
lircrc, but there's a system tool that monitor the keyboard you could
use to tell you what the value of the keystroke combination is and
then try this value in lircrc. (I think its xkbwatch but it's been a
while)

> in addition...
>
> I've had to reboot several times lately (mostly because of a buggy
> power cable, I think), so I've noticed something I mightn't otherwise.
> When I boot up, I autologin the mythtv user from gdm, which runs a
> minimal wm & starts mythfrontend directly.  The first time I do
> this after booting, mythfrontend doesn't seem to receive any
> keypresses from the remote (though I can check with irw that the
> remote is in fact sending, and lircd is up and receiving).  If I
> /etc/init.d/gdm restart
> then things seem to work fine again.  Anyone know what the deal is
> with that?  Do I need to modify my init scripts somehow perhaps?

Could it be a focus issue (do the arrow keys work in mythfrontend
after boot)? Maybe the LIRC drivers haven't loaded by the time
mythfrontend starts?

Nick