[mythtv-users] Odds of Linux CableCARD support?

Ross Campbell ross.campbell at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 05:44:07 UTC 2006

The whole HD thing is really starting to stink.

US government forcing adoption of HDTV due to all of the egg on their
face because of the lack of interest around their non-open standard.

US governemnt forced to subsidize TV upgrades for the masses so that
we can get this "superior" TV that is being mandated by the
government. Cost to taxpayers? 1.5 billion.

New TV buyers dissatisfied by the lack of HD programming.

Cable companies moving channels from basic cable or extended basic to
digital cable just to force people to rent their underpowered cable
boxes and pay more per month.

Eventually there will be a "CableCARD Jon" and we'll be in an awkward
position of having *hardware* that is legal to use under Windows and
illegal to use under Linux!

Then, I'm sure a new standard will be proposed and we'll need to buy
new TVs all over again.

When will this madness stop???

I think I'll stick with SDTV and use my government HDTV subsidy money
to buy another hard drive.

-Ross