[mythtv-users] Odds of Linux CableCARD support?

Joe Votour joevph at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 12 01:32:29 UTC 2006

--- H P Ladds <householdwords at gmail.com> wrote:

> Would it read "DENIED" and "thank you for your
> $100,000.00"
> application fee? Or is that a bogus tale I heard
> about the cost of
> application.
>

> On 1/11/06, Joe Votour <joevph at yahoo.com> wrote:
> >

> > --- H P Ladds <householdwords at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > " The cable companies will wind up killing
> shooting
> > >  themselves in the foot if they're not careful.
> > > IPTV
> > >  over DSL using MPEG-4 is steadily catching up."
> > >
> > > Will IPTV help us? The consortium of content
> > > producers (CableLabs)
> > > will still demand that the content be encrypted.
> > > Linux and Open Source need not apply for
> approval?
> > >
> > > Still, I'm with you, someone shot has themselves
> in
> > > the foot. The
> > > content producers just handed control of a large
> > > portion of their
> > > distribution channel to Microsoft -- I wish them
> the
> > > best of luck in
> > > trying to get it back.
> > >

> > <snip>

<snip>

Most likely.

I don't know what the fees are for CableCARD (I
couldn't find them in the price list), but I would
guess somewhere between $50,000 to $100,000 based on
the other prices (which have come down from previous
years).

Check out the application fees yourself (no
CableCARD):
http://www.cablemodem.com/downloads/2006Pricing.pdf

-- Joe