[mythtv-users] Odds of Linux CableCARD support?

Steve Adeff adeffs at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 13:33:56 UTC 2006

On Thursday 12 January 2006 00:44, Ross Campbell wrote:
> The whole HD thing is really starting to stink.
>
> US government forcing adoption of HDTV due to all of the egg on their
> face because of the lack of interest around their non-open standard.
>
> US governemnt forced to subsidize TV upgrades for the masses so that
> we can get this "superior" TV that is being mandated by the
> government. Cost to taxpayers? 1.5 billion.
>
> New TV buyers dissatisfied by the lack of HD programming.
>
> Cable companies moving channels from basic cable or extended basic to
> digital cable just to force people to rent their underpowered cable
> boxes and pay more per month.
>
> Eventually there will be a "CableCARD Jon" and we'll be in an awkward
> position of having *hardware* that is legal to use under Windows and
> illegal to use under Linux!
>
> Then, I'm sure a new standard will be proposed and we'll need to buy
> new TVs all over again.
>
> When will this madness stop???
>
> I think I'll stick with SDTV and use my government HDTV subsidy money
> to buy another hard drive.
>

> -Ross

when people stop thinking they need the government and start realizing that in
reality the government needs them. until then they will continue to let
governments rule over their lives making foolish and just plain dumb
decisions that if they don't abide by, men with guns come knocking on their
door.

--
Steve