[mythtv-users] Mythweb and episode numbers

f-myth-users at media.mit.edu f-myth-users at media.mit.edu
Sat Jan 7 04:40:05 UTC 2006

    Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2006 00:26:57 -0800
    From: Chris Petersen <lists at forevermore.net>

    > Thanks!  I assume it'd be fairly easy for me to look at the SVN patch
    > and backport to 18.1?  (SVN is too unstable for me, and I haven't yet
    > looked carefully at how mythweb has changed between the two.)

    HUGE code structure changes...  you could pick at it, but the patch
    itself definitely wouldn't apply.

Okay; I may eyeball this in case I can't wait for 0.19.  [*]

    > ???  I'm confused.  I was under the impression that feature requests
    > were very much discouraged in trac [ . . . ]

    I use it for feature requests..  maybe the other devs don't, but that's
    where people tend to put them, and it's one of the only places to put
    info that is guaranteed to be looked at.

Okay, then that's where I'll send feature requests for mythweb,
anyway.  But there probably won't be any until 0.19 is released,
since I probably can't justify the instability of SVN.

[Note that, e.g., trac #952 is an example of something that was
apparently closed 'cause "feature request without patch attached";
I tripped over this at random just now.  It also says "Read the Ticket
HowTo" but that page (http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/wiki/HowTo) has never
been written, although the actual URL written there after HowTo, namely
http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/wiki/TicketHowTo, has.]

Anyway, thanks again!

[*] A whine:  It's really unfortunate that so many milestones are part
of the next release; it's somewhat painful to be in the situation of
wanting a modicum of stability, but therefore to be running a release
that's will probably be a year old before it's superceded and hence is
so old that many SVN users can't even remember what was in it, and for
which filing bug reports is essentially useless----or, on the other
horn of this dilemma, to use an SVN that's so unstable that deliberate
weeks-long breakages of features are done on the mainline instead of a
branch.  I wish we could have stable or even semi-stable releases on
better than a yearly schedule, or that SVN used branches more.  Oh
well.  [And, while I'm wishing for a pony, I wish that it was possible
to at least use a mix of SVN and stable, but the protocol/schema
changes make this impossible, too, so it's quite difficult to have a
stable production machine -and- a testbed machine without a lot of
duplication of resources and time.  Alas, alack.]