[mythtv] Testing the default and default-wide themes

Scott Theisen scott.the.elm at gmail.com
Sat Oct 1 14:40:47 UTC 2022

On 10/1/22 06:35, Paul Harrison wrote:
> On 01/10/2022 02:23, Scott Theisen wrote:
>> On 9/30/22 20:35, Paul Harrison wrote:
>>> I meant to say it doesn't seem a good enough reason to break all
>>> themes IMHO? If it was for a feature addition or change then I can
>>> live with it but for what appears to be some code clean up I'm not
>>> so sure.
>>>

>>> Paul H.
>>>

>> I don't understand this comment; it doesn't seem to follow the rest.
>> Setting the subtitle of a manual recording in mythfrontend is a new
>> feature.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Scott
>>

> Ah!. Sorry I didn't look at the pull request I assumed this was for
> the theme changes required because of this comment although I admit I
> didn't look too closely at what needs to change and whether it's a
> good enough reason to break stuff.
>
> https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/642#issuecomment-1260210103
>

> My concern is we known from the likes of the SD statistics that we are
> loosing users at a alarming rate so the last thing we need is for
> stuff to be broken like themes that can be avoided otherwise a lot of
> users will just say sod it it's broken again I don't need this anymore
> and it's another user lost. We need to make life easier for users not
> harder.
>

> Paul H.

The bundled themes don't use <window name="program_info"> <statetype
name="audiocodec">, which is what the linked comment is about.  Adding
the few extra <state>s is perfectly backwards compatible.

I understand the desire to not break things, which is why the new
<window name="manualschedule"> <textedit name="subtitle"> is optional.
The theme change is backwards compatible, but has the downside that the
new textedit widget does not effect anything without the MythTV change.

Regards,

Scott