[mythtv-users] mythtv and zoneminder cameras

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Wed May 5 14:55:08 UTC 2021

>>> Mike,
>>>
>>> I've tried to do this also, I'm still on .29 and found information on setting up a network tuner with a m3u file, but I was not able to get it to work.  The contents of that m3u is
>>>
>>> doug at desktop:~/Desktop$ cat playlist.m3u
>>>
>>> #EXTM3U
>>>
>>> #EXTINF:0,501 - Back Yard
>>>
>>> rtsp://camera1.drdos.info/live.sdp
>>>
>>> #EXTINF:0,502 - Driveway
>>>
>>> rtsp://camera3.drdos.info/live.sdp
>>>
>>> I have 2 cameras that I can use VLC to stream, so I tried to add channels 501 and 502 to Myth.
>>>
>>> I can select those a channels in Myth, but it does not provide a video stream.
>>>
>>> I'd be interested in this as well, but do not know for certain if my version of Myth is compatible.
>>>
>> Ah, sorry. Forgot to include my version:
>>
>> mythtv at jade:~$ mythbackend --version
>> Please attach all output as a file in bug reports.
>> MythTV Version : v30.0
>> MythTV Branch :
>> Network Protocol : 91
>> Library API : 30.20181231-1
>> QT Version : 5.11.3
>> (snip)
>> mythtv at jade:~$
>>
>> I'm using Debian Buster and the deb-multimedia repo.
>>
>> I really do have an upgrade on the 'to do' list but time, etc. and it isn't (yet) broke.
>
> I have been using IPTV to record from rtsp URLs (SAT>IP in my case)
> for several versions of MythTV now.  Getting the exact format of the
> playlist.m3u file correct is important if you want to set things up
> that way, but as far as I can tell your playlist.m3u format is
> correct.  But where I had problems was actually getting the tuner to
> load the playlist.m3u file.  I found the easiest way was to have the
> playlist.m3u file on my Apache2 web server (that also runs mythweb and
> other things).  I just put the playlist.m3u file in the /var/www/html
> directory and accessed it from there:
>
> http://satip.jsw.gen.nz/playlist.m3u
>
> or
>
> http://10.0.2.4/playlist.m3u
>
> if you do not run a local nameserver.  Other methods of accessing the
> playlist.m3u file that I tried simply did not work - no channels were
> created.
>
> But if you have only a few channels to set up, then you can just do
> that manually directly in the database.  That is what I do when a new
> channel or channel change happens with my SAT>IP channels.  I use
> DBeaver as a good freeware SQL editor:
>
> https://dbeaver.io/
>
> and just create a channel by copying an existing channel in the
> channel and iptv_channel tables and changing the values to what the
> new channel needs.
>
> Here is one of my SAT>IP tuners:
>
> MariaDB [mythconverg]> select * from capturecard where sourceid=6
> limit 1\G
> *************************** 1. row ***************************
>                 cardid: 90
>               parentid: 0
>            videodevice: http://satip.jsw.gen.nz/playlist.m3u
> [...]
I very deliberately selected non-cloud cameras for this project. I already had a baby monitor that
was cloud-based and liked that not at all. Since the zm setup is for internal use only, I have set
up the cameras and the server on a separate isolated subnet we can get into but nothing inside can
get out. If I want to upgrade the server I have to power it off, unplug it and plug it into another
subnet in order to do it.

Thank you very much for the above information. The zm server of course has an Apache component so I
can serve the .m3u file from there easily enough.

--

Mike Perkins