[mythtv-users] The future of MythTV

Hika van den Hoven hikavdh at gmail.com
Tue Jun 8 18:17:35 UTC 2021

Hoi Per,

> Peter Bennett wrote:

>> On 6/8/21 5:57 AM, John Pilkington wrote:
>>> It might be possible to start a recording, check the available
>>> streams, and abort on a language-set mismatch.
>>>
>>> I just had a BBC FOUR recording that started at 18:58 and now plays
>>> fine in master, but the stream analysis in my cutting script saw 0
>>> video streams and aborted.  It worked after dropping the first 45 MB
>>> of the file.  Needs a probe offset...
>>>
>>> John P
>>
>> I don't know how things are in Europe, but in the USA the language for
>> an audio track is normally garbage. They typically have two audio
>> tracks, one labeled English and one labeled Spanish. The Spanish track
>> has a low-quality copy of the English track, a descriptive audio
>> track, or nothing. I have never found a case where it contains Spanish
>> audio.

> Dual-language programming is perfectly common, often also with a third
> track of descriptive audio.  Sometimes different quality of audio too -
> stereo, surround etc.  For dubbed material, whether you get the
> original sound is a matter of licensing.

> With the immensely popular "The Big Bang Theory", the problem was
> particularly visible.  It was broadcast concurrently in several
> countries - one recording rule would lead to maybe five-six recordings.
> E.g. in German, French, Italian, Polish, Russian, Turkish, I think I
> had even Arabic.  Oh, and English :-)

But the language is mainly dependant on the channel. More relevant is
whether it is in the original language with maybe subtitles or whether
it is dubbed in the channel language. Isn't it so that in Switzerland
there are separate channels for the different languages? There are in
Belgium. If I here in the Netherlands record a German, British, French
or whatever channel, I know the language of that country and most
other countries do dub the broadcasts in their own language. We are
one of the few that use subtitling (except for children shows). The
channels with for me unacceptable languages I have mostly excluded
from my channel list.

So could the channel characteristics be extended with the channel
language? And maybe with their preferred choice for dubbing or
subtitling? That way, if you include acceptable languages in the
query ... ?

Tot mails,
  Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven