[mythtv-users] The future of MythTV

Per Jessen per at computer.org
Wed Jun 9 13:34:40 UTC 2021

Hika van den Hoven wrote:

> Hoi Per,
>
> Tuesday, June 8, 2021, 6:28:14 PM, you wrote:
>
>> Dual-language programming is perfectly common, often also with a
>> third track of descriptive audio.  Sometimes different quality of
>> audio too - stereo, surround etc.  For dubbed material, whether you
>> get the original sound is a matter of licensing.
>
>> With the immensely popular "The Big Bang Theory", the problem was
>> particularly visible.  It was broadcast concurrently in several
>> countries - one recording rule would lead to maybe five-six
>> recordings. E.g. in German, French, Italian, Polish, Russian,
>> Turkish, I think I had even Arabic.  Oh, and English :-)
>

> But the language is mainly dependant on the channel. More relevant is
> whether it is in the original language with maybe subtitles or whether
> it is dubbed in the channel language.

Usually when there is audio in more than one language, it will be the
original, plus one dubbed language.

> Isn't it so that in Switzerland there are separate channels for the
> different languages?

Yes primarily, but not exclusively.

> There are in Belgium. If I here in the Netherlands record a German,
> British, French or whatever channel, I know the language of that
> country and most other countries do dub the broadcasts in their own
> language. We are one of the few that use subtitling (except for
> children shows). The channels with for me unacceptable languages I
> have mostly excluded from my channel list.

If there was an easy option to say "record this, but only on these
channels from my list(s)", that would help quite a bit, yes.

> So could the channel characteristics be extended with the channel
> language? And maybe with their preferred choice for dubbing or
> subtitling? That way, if you include acceptable languages in the
> query ... ?

I can't quite figure out if that would work.  At some point, BBC4 liked
to broadcast Scandinavian titles with the original sound track and
subtitles.

If I had a rule:  record "Wallander", any channel, but only in
Swedish  - with your scheme, would I get a recording from BBC4 ?

Groetjes,
Per

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (24.5°C)