[mythtv-users] The future of MythTV

Per Jessen per at computer.org
Tue Jun 8 16:28:14 UTC 2021

Peter Bennett wrote:

> On 6/8/21 5:57 AM, John Pilkington wrote:
>> It might be possible to start a recording, check the available
>> streams, and abort on a language-set mismatch.
>>
>> I just had a BBC FOUR recording that started at 18:58 and now plays
>> fine in master, but the stream analysis in my cutting script saw 0
>> video streams and aborted.  It worked after dropping the first 45 MB
>> of the file.  Needs a probe offset...
>>
>> John P
>
> I don't know how things are in Europe, but in the USA the language for
> an audio track is normally garbage. They typically have two audio
> tracks, one labeled English and one labeled Spanish. The Spanish track
> has a low-quality copy of the English track, a descriptive audio
> track, or nothing. I have never found a case where it contains Spanish
> audio.

Dual-language programming is perfectly common, often also with a third
track of descriptive audio.  Sometimes different quality of audio too -
stereo, surround etc.  For dubbed material, whether you get the
original sound is a matter of licensing.

With the immensely popular "The Big Bang Theory", the problem was
particularly visible.  It was broadcast concurrently in several
countries - one recording rule would lead to maybe five-six recordings.
E.g. in German, French, Italian, Polish, Russian, Turkish, I think I
had even Arabic.  Oh, and English :-)

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (19.8°C)