[mythtv-users] Ceton vs multirec questions

f-myth-users at media.mit.edu f-myth-users at media.mit.edu
Wed Jul 28 04:09:57 UTC 2021

    > Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2021 22:54:41 -0500
    > From: Per Hatlevik <jakeisawake at gmail.com>

    > I used a ceton and hdhomerun prime for many years and if you are using
    > cablecard you can't do multirec as far as I know. Maybe the same channel on
    > a pre/post roll could do multiple recordings but I've never seen that!

Yup, cablecard with Comcast cable.

    > With a cable card the card downloads a channelmap so each channel is a
    > vchannel on it's own frequency and there are no multiplexes like there are
    > over ATSC AFAIK.

That's closer to my understanding.  Hence my surprise at all those
mysteriously-appearing tuners.

(Also interesting just how different the channelmap and the Schedules
Direct listings are; I'll have to go through them carefully and figure
out if it's worth trying to update SD or if I'm misinterpreting it.
Way more entries in the channelmap, but I haven't tried tuning most
of them yet.)

    > I have been only OTA since 2016 so maybe I am dating myself!

    > PS the olympics in 2016 basically KILLED my ceton eth 6 recording Olympics
    > on 6 tuners basically 24x7 for two weeks. Put a fan on it!

So I've heard!  I do in fact have the hardware to strap a nice quiet fan
to it and am planning to do so soon.