[mythtv-users] Ceton vs multirec questions

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Wed Jul 28 08:24:19 UTC 2021

On Wed, 28 Jul 2021 00:09:57 -0400, you wrote:

>    > Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2021 22:54:41 -0500
>    > From: Per Hatlevik <jakeisawake at gmail.com>
>
>    > I used a ceton and hdhomerun prime for many years and if you are using
>    > cablecard you can't do multirec as far as I know. Maybe the same channel on
>    > a pre/post roll could do multiple recordings but I've never seen that!
>
>Yup, cablecard with Comcast cable.
>
>    > With a cable card the card downloads a channelmap so each channel is a
>    > vchannel on it's own frequency and there are no multiplexes like there are
>    > over ATSC AFAIK.
>
>That's closer to my understanding.  Hence my surprise at all those
>mysteriously-appearing tuners.
>
>(Also interesting just how different the channelmap and the Schedules
>Direct listings are; I'll have to go through them carefully and figure
>out if it's worth trying to update SD or if I'm misinterpreting it.
>Way more entries in the channelmap, but I haven't tried tuning most
>of them yet.)
>
>    > I have been only OTA since 2016 so maybe I am dating myself!
>
>    > PS the olympics in 2016 basically KILLED my ceton eth 6 recording Olympics
>    > on 6 tuners basically 24x7 for two weeks. Put a fan on it!
>
>So I've heard!  I do in fact have the hardware to strap a nice quiet fan
>to it and am planning to do so soon.

This might be as a result of the new "Schedule as a group" option.  If
that is set, as I understand it, it overrides the setting for the
number of multirec tuners and the system will create virtual tuners as
required.  I have never used that option, but I understand it is on by
default in new installs.  You find it in mythtv-setup > Input
connections > select a tuner > Interactions between inputs.