[mythtv-users] Best tuner? - now driver question - now signal strength monitoring/logging app

James Linder jam at tigger.ws
Mon Jan 18 08:45:52 UTC 2021

> On 18 Jan 2021, at 10:52 am, DaveD <mythtv at guiplot.com> wrote:
>
> On 1/12/21 2:31 PM, James Linder wrote:
>>> On 13 Jan 2021, at 12:53 am, DaveD <mythtv at guiplot.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I've been studying the performance of my new Hauppauge Quad vs the performance of my Old Dvico Fusion dual.  I wrote a GUI app using QT (my self-tutorial) that has a bar graph for signal strength and another for SNR. They update every 100mS and it works great for watching signal strength while moving antennas. It's based on code from dvb-apps and uses channels.conf files generated with scandvb.  When invoked, it loads the channels from the .conf file and I can choose which channel I want to monitor. I can open as many instances as I want and monitor as many channels as I want (up to the number of adapters, which is now 6).  Monitoring multiple channels simultaneously while moving the antenna works GREAT.
>> To do just that has been on my list for some time, and IMHO mythtv should do so. Are you prepared to share your code.
>> When I have done so the biggest task has been 'tidy the code'
>> Don't bother, I'm quite happy with 'as it is'
>> Thanks
>> James
>
> Well, I didn't "tidy" my code, but I did try some of the suggestions to use a different method of getting a unique ID.  I'm still working on that, but, for now, I went ahead and made it available at http://www.guiplot.com/strength/.  I made a web page that explains how to use it and a little about how I wrote it, based on dvb-apps.  Let me know if it works and/or if it's useful.  I would love to be able to contribute something to this community that has provided so much of what I use every day.

Dave thanks.
In moments of weakness I feel sorry for Gates. Politics no doubt says that he can’t play with linux. I wonder if that is what WSL is all about.
I’ve not looked at the detail yet but without doubt gnuplot will do what you are doing with GUIplot. It should be easier and more familiar to the folk here.
James