[mythtv-users] Best tuner? - now driver question

Vincent McIntyre lists at arewethere.net
Wed Jan 13 10:29:55 UTC 2021

On Tue, Jan 12, 2021 at 08:53:16AM -0800, DaveD wrote:

> After a couple of days, I stopped checking the data and let it run for a
> week before looking again.  Unfortunately, after about 3 days the logged
> card started to always be "unknown".  That's the default.  When the program
> starts, it checks for adapters by listing /dev/dvb.  It then finds the chip
> for each adapter using "dmesg | grep 'DVB: registering adapter '" which lets
> me build a unique name for each card.  The problem occurred when dmesg got
> overloaded with messages and the old ones were dropped.  No more output from
> the dmesg | grep command.

You might make things a little more reliable by fishing round in /sys.

$ cat /sys/class/dvb/dvb0.frontend0/device/subsystem_device
0xdb78
$ cat /sys/class/dvb/dvb0.frontend0/device/subsystem_vendor
0x18ac

These can be translated with /usr/share/misc/pci.ids as
18ac DViCO Corporation
db78 FusionHDTV DVB-T Dual Express

It is a little more complicated as different cards have different
contents under /sys. It is probably worth messing around with udev
to see if you can cast a spell that gives you the info you require.
e.g. give this a go

$ udevadm info -a -p $(udevadm info -q path -n /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0)
$ udevadm info -a -p $(udevadm info -q path -n /dev/dvb/adapter0/demux0)

Plus, udev has some kind of api which may help you with this.

I'm interested to see this code as well if you are game to share,
I have the same setup with dvico dual & hauppage quad, and glitches.

Kind regards
Vince