[mythtv-users] Best tuner? - now driver question - now signal strength monitoring/logging app

DaveD mythtv at guiplot.com
Mon Jan 18 02:52:35 UTC 2021

On 1/12/21 2:31 PM, James Linder wrote:
>> On 13 Jan 2021, at 12:53 am, DaveD <mythtv at guiplot.com> wrote:
>>
>> I've been studying the performance of my new Hauppauge Quad vs the performance of my Old Dvico Fusion dual.  I wrote a GUI app using QT (my self-tutorial) that has a bar graph for signal strength and another for SNR. They update every 100mS and it works great for watching signal strength while moving antennas. It's based on code from dvb-apps and uses channels.conf files generated with scandvb.  When invoked, it loads the channels from the .conf file and I can choose which channel I want to monitor. I can open as many instances as I want and monitor as many channels as I want (up to the number of adapters, which is now 6).  Monitoring multiple channels simultaneously while moving the antenna works GREAT.
> To do just that has been on my list for some time, and IMHO mythtv should do so. Are you prepared to share your code.
> When I have done so the biggest task has been 'tidy the code'
> Don't bother, I'm quite happy with 'as it is'
> Thanks
> James

Well, I didn't "tidy" my code, but I did try some of the suggestions to
use a different method of getting a unique ID.  I'm still working on
that, but, for now, I went ahead and made it available at
http://www.guiplot.com/strength/.  I made a web page that explains how
to use it and a little about how I wrote it, based on dvb-apps.  Let me
know if it works and/or if it's useful.  I would love to be able to
contribute something to this community that has provided so much of what
I use every day.

Dave D.