[mythtv-users] Mythbuntu Theme - fix required (solution within)

Paul Harrison mythtv at mythqml.net
Sun May 17 22:54:04 UTC 2020

On 17/05/2020 16:10, Tim Draper wrote:

> ---- On Sun, 17 May 2020 12:15:30 +0100 Paul Harrison
> <mythtv at mythqml.net> wrote ----
> > On 17/05/2020 09:45, Tim Draper wrote:
> > I can see the problem with current master as well.
>
> should've probably said it was an active issue; downloading the
> current version of the theme exhibits the issue.
>
> > It's the <outlinesize> size of 4 that is causing the problem and is
> making the black outline obliterate the grey text. Since the
> background is also black it has the effect of making the text
> invisible. If you change the <outlinecolor> to #ff0000 you can see
> what is happening better since that makes the outline color red.
> >
> > Reducing the outline size to say 1 improves the problem but still
> looks bad. I would change all the references of
> 'basesmallblackoutline' to 'basesmallgrey' in video-ui.xml and remove
> the 'basesmallblackoutline' fontdef from base.xml since it's not used
> anywhere else. That looks a lot better to my eyes but it's not my
> theme to mess with.
>
> while i get everyone can contribute to FOSS, it's more the fact i'm
> not familiar with git or theming enough to ammend source. your
> findings is what i've found although solution different. I initially
> went with 'basesmallblackoutline2' just for video_ui.xml use that only
> appeared to affect this. then i figured just to edit the existing
> definition. Been using Mythbuntu long enough that i'm reasonably
> confident it's only affected/used in videos, or it's a problem
> elsewhere that i've just not seen.
> ultimately i'm not fussed about exactly which solution, but in the
> spirit of standardising and OSS, it should be done right for everyones
> sanity.
>
> > A quick tip if you want to start playing around with themes is you
> can make changes to say video-ui.xml in ~/.mythtv/themes/Mythbuntu and
> to see the changes just exit out of the screen in the frontend and
> back in again and you should see the changes you made. If you make
> changes to base.xml though then you will have to restart the frontend
> to see the changes. There is a jumppoint called 'Reload Theme' that
> you can set to lets say Ctrl-R that you can then use to reload the
> theme without restarting the frontend (useful if you want to see what
> affect changing something in base.xml does).
> > Other useful JumpPoints are 'Toggle Show Widget Borders' and 'Toggle
> Show Widget Names'. Try setting them and then try them out to see what
> they do if you can't guess already :)
> >

> i've been using the Theming guide page in the mythtv wiki a lot and
> using the sugestion on restarting just the UI, but didnt realise there
> was a jumppoint option in there too. good info. sounds like widget
> borders&names would be bloody useful too, rather than guess & feel on
> a half-size 1920x1080 FE window when testing.
> Yet to figure out the osd.xml for the new v31 deinterlacer values, but
> not spent too much time on that yet. For the sake of a couple of minor
> [...]

This is the commit that added the deinterlacer to the debug OSD

https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/commit/47e41e76f4ce4e

You have to 2 options

1. remove the osd_debug window from Mythbuntu's osd.xml it will then
fallback to using the default window definition. It looks like a copy
paste from the default one so really no need for it be copied.

2. add the new <textarea>'s 'deint' and  'deinterlacer' that the above
commit added. You will also have to tweak the height of the window
<area> to make room for the new textarea's.

This is Mythbuntu's osd.xml

https://github.com/MythTV-Themes/Mythbuntu/blob/master/osd.xml#L4

and this is the default-wide's

https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/blob/master/mythtv/themes/default-wide/osd.xml#L4