[mythtv-users] Mythbuntu Theme - fix required (solution within)

Tim Draper veehexx at zoho.com
Sun May 17 15:10:07 UTC 2020

---- On Sun, 17 May 2020 12:15:30 +0100 Paul Harrison <mythtv at mythqml.net> wrote ----

 >         On 17/05/2020 09:45, Tim Draper wrote:

 >     I can see the problem with current master as well.

should've probably said it was an active issue; downloading the current version of the theme exhibits the issue.

>     It's the <outlinesize> size of 4 that is causing the      problem and is making the black outline obliterate the grey text.      Since the background is also black it has the effect of making the      text invisible. If you change the <outlinecolor> to #ff0000      you can see what is happening better since that makes the outline      color red.

 >     Reducing the outline size to say 1 improves the problem but still      looks bad. I would change all the references of      'basesmallblackoutline' to 'basesmallgrey' in video-ui.xml and      remove  the 'basesmallblackoutline' fontdef from base.xml since      it's not used anywhere else. That looks a lot better to my eyes      but it's not my theme to mess with.

while i get everyone can contribute to FOSS, it's more the fact i'm not familiar with git or theming enough to ammend source. your findings is what i've found although solution different. I initially went with 'basesmallblackoutline2' just for video_ui.xml use that only appeared to affect this. then i figured just to edit the existing definition. Been using Mythbuntu long enough that i'm reasonably confident it's only affected/used in videos, or it's a problem elsewhere that i've just not seen.

ultimately i'm not fussed about exactly which solution, but in the spirit of standardising and OSS, it should be done right for everyones sanity.

 >     A quick tip if you want to start playing around with themes is      you can make changes to say video-ui.xml in      ~/.mythtv/themes/Mythbuntu and to see the changes just exit out of      the screen in the frontend and back in again and you should see      the changes you made. If you make changes to base.xml though then      you will have to restart the frontend to see the changes. There is      a jumppoint called 'Reload Theme' that you can set to lets say      Ctrl-R that you can then use to reload the theme without      restarting the frontend (useful if you want to see what affect      changing something in base.xml does).

 >     Other useful JumpPoints are 'Toggle Show Widget Borders' and      'Toggle Show Widget Names'. Try setting them and then try them out      to see what they do if you can't guess already :)

i've been using the Theming guide page in the mythtv wiki a lot and using the sugestion on restarting just the UI, but didnt realise there was a jumppoint option in there too. good info. sounds like widget borders&names would be bloody useful too, rather than guess & feel on a half-size 1920x1080 FE window when testing.

Yet to figure out the osd.xml for the new v31 deinterlacer values, but not spent too much time on that yet. For the sake of a couple of minor tweaks to the existing themes, seems like it's effort well spent rather than creating my own to fix those issues...