[mythtv-users] Recordings screen hangs after Ubuntu 18.04 upgrade

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 04:19:32 UTC 2020

> >Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'm going to restore my Ubuntu 16.04
> >backup as I can't resolve this. I thought it may be due to hundreds of
> >orphan files (found with find_orphans.py) but I can't troubleshoot it
> >because the machine freezes up and I can't even do much at a command
> >prompt. I wonder if the network is flooding with messages or something.
> >Anyway, back to 16.04 and fight the battle against 18.04 another day.
> >
> >I once tried to upgrade a fronend to Ubuntu 18.04 and that failed
> dismally,
> >too. This is only a backend machine so I thought it would be easier with
> no
> >LIRC, video etc, but it has been an absolute disaster, as well. Is Ubuntu
> >18.04 just a PITA, and should I wait for 20.04?
>
> No, 18.04 is not a disaster, but like most upgrades, it does have its
> problems.  Waiting for 20.04 will not help much.  The problem you
> likely have is due to the increased network security that is being put
> into things, in this case CIFS.  Older CIFS/SMB protocols are being
> deprecated, so you either will have to upgrade your NAS box (if that
> is possible), or tell CIFS it is allowed to use the older protocols
> still.  That sort of problem will only get worse in newer versions.
>
> When you next try 18.04, you should try first with MythTV shut down
> and fix things so that you can see the NAS drive from the 18.04
> system.  Having MythTV running is just making it hard to work on that
> system and obscuring the real problem.

Hi Stephen, you are right and I have to admit I didn't try your earlier
suggestion of setting the CIFS version to 1.0 (instead, I pig-headedly set
it to 2.1). As a last resort just now I tried with the CIFS versino set to
1.0 in /etc/fstab and guess what - that seems to have fixed it.

You have helped a lot of people on this mailing list and I should have know
better than to ever doubt you!