[mythtv-users] Recordings screen hangs after Ubuntu 18.04 upgrade

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Tue Mar 31 06:03:03 UTC 2020

On Tue, 31 Mar 2020 15:19:32 +1100, you wrote:

>> >Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'm going to restore my Ubuntu 16.04
>> >backup as I can't resolve this. I thought it may be due to hundreds of
>> >orphan files (found with find_orphans.py) but I can't troubleshoot it
>> >because the machine freezes up and I can't even do much at a command
>> >prompt. I wonder if the network is flooding with messages or something.
>> >Anyway, back to 16.04 and fight the battle against 18.04 another day.
>> >
>> >I once tried to upgrade a fronend to Ubuntu 18.04 and that failed
>> dismally,
>> >too. This is only a backend machine so I thought it would be easier with
>> no
>> >LIRC, video etc, but it has been an absolute disaster, as well. Is Ubuntu
>> >18.04 just a PITA, and should I wait for 20.04?
>>
>> No, 18.04 is not a disaster, but like most upgrades, it does have its
>> problems.  Waiting for 20.04 will not help much.  The problem you
>> likely have is due to the increased network security that is being put
>> into things, in this case CIFS.  Older CIFS/SMB protocols are being
>> deprecated, so you either will have to upgrade your NAS box (if that
>> is possible), or tell CIFS it is allowed to use the older protocols
>> still.  That sort of problem will only get worse in newer versions.
>>
>> When you next try 18.04, you should try first with MythTV shut down
>> and fix things so that you can see the NAS drive from the 18.04
>> system.  Having MythTV running is just making it hard to work on that
>> system and obscuring the real problem.
>

>Hi Stephen, you are right and I have to admit I didn't try your earlier
>suggestion of setting the CIFS version to 1.0 (instead, I pig-headedly set
>it to 2.1). As a last resort just now I tried with the CIFS versino set to
>1.0 in /etc/fstab and guess what - that seems to have fixed it.
>
>You have helped a lot of people on this mailing list and I should have know
>better than to ever doubt you!

I have no way of knowing just what SMB protocol level your particular
NAS system uses, but my guess was 1.0 as that is the only one that has
been completely deprecated as yet, so the higher levels should have
still been working.  But if you have anything else using SMB <= 3.0,
expect that at some point as CIFS gets updated, that will stop working
too and will need the option added.