[mythtv-users] Recordings screen hangs after Ubuntu 18.04 upgrade

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Tue Mar 31 03:57:57 UTC 2020

On Tue, 31 Mar 2020 14:37:27 +1100, you wrote:

>>> So it looks like it can't find the recording files, but I don'd
>>> understand why not. The files are stored on a NAS in an NFS share. I also
>>> can't see them if I try to find them from the command line.
>>>
>>> Any ideas what exactly the upgrade broke and what I need to do to fix
>>> this?
>>>

>> Sorry, correction - the recording files are being accessed over CIFS not
>> NFS.
>>

>Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'm going to restore my Ubuntu 16.04
>backup as I can't resolve this. I thought it may be due to hundreds of
>orphan files (found with find_orphans.py) but I can't troubleshoot it
>because the machine freezes up and I can't even do much at a command
>prompt. I wonder if the network is flooding with messages or something.
>Anyway, back to 16.04 and fight the battle against 18.04 another day.
>
>I once tried to upgrade a fronend to Ubuntu 18.04 and that failed dismally,
>too. This is only a backend machine so I thought it would be easier with no
>LIRC, video etc, but it has been an absolute disaster, as well. Is Ubuntu
>18.04 just a PITA, and should I wait for 20.04?

No, 18.04 is not a disaster, but like most upgrades, it does have its
problems.  Waiting for 20.04 will not help much.  The problem you
likely have is due to the increased network security that is being put
into things, in this case CIFS.  Older CIFS/SMB protocols are being
deprecated, so you either will have to upgrade your NAS box (if that
is possible), or tell CIFS it is allowed to use the older protocols
still.  That sort of problem will only get worse in newer versions.

When you next try 18.04, you should try first with MythTV shut down
and fix things so that you can see the NAS drive from the 18.04
system.  Having MythTV running is just making it hard to work on that
system and obscuring the real problem.