[mythtv-users] need help with station rescan after frequency change

Jim Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 15:01:33 UTC 2020

On 6/30/20 8:32 AM, Jim Abernathy wrote:

> On 6/30/20 7:31 AM, James Abernathy wrote:
>> Last year all but one of my local OTA TV stations changed frequencies
>> as a part of the FCC repacking of the USA OTA channels.
>>
>> Today the last one switched.   I can't remember exactly what I did
>> last year, but I remember it was simple. I tried on my
>> development v31 FE/BE combo to make sure I had it right before I did
>> anything with my production backend.
>>
>> I failed on the initial test.  All I did was use mythtv-setup and in
>> the input connections I did a scan and updated all channels. I still
>> could not receive the channel that moved.
>>
>> 1. Do I have to reconfigure XMLTV?  I use tv_grab_zz_sdjson-sqlite.
>> The channel that moved is still called the same thing.
>> 2. I have a mixture of HDHR and Hauppauge WinTV Quad PCIe tuners
>>
>> Jim A
>> BTW I did the rescan on a real TV and it found the new channel
>
> Okay, I think I have this figured out.  I do not know if this is the
> optimal solution, but it worked.
>
> First I used mythtv-setup -> Edit Channels and deleted all channels
> from Video Source 'SD'. Then I re-scanned.
>
> I noticed that when that was done I had a lot of new unwanted channels
> so I marked them invisible.  I also noticed that my channel that moved
> overnight now had the changed freq. from 11 to 9 which is correct.
> However the XMLTV ID was now blank.
>
> So I ran as user 'mythtv':
>
> tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite --manage-lineups --config-file
> $HOME/.mythtv/SD.xmltv
>
> Then did option 5 to manually select the channels. That exercise was
> mostly to confirm what I already had.
>
> When I exited, I did mythfilldatabase, then exited user mythtv and
> back in mythtv-setup I found my changed channel had the XMLTV ID.
>
> Next I started mythbackend up and everything is now work.
>
> I have no idea what the right steps are but this worked for me.
>
> Jim A

I think I added a step that was not needed. So here is what I think is
required at least on a RPi4 v31 with HDHomerun Quatro.

1. Run mythtv-setup which shuts down the backend.

2. in Edit channels, I deleted all the channels on the Video Source in
question. SD for me.

3. Run the scan and add all the channels and then edited channels I
didn't want to see.

4. Save and exit, which starts the backend.

5. At least on the RPi4, mythfilldatabase is triggered by just starting
mythbackend so I just waited.

At this point I could view the new channel.

Jim A