[mythtv-users] new PC build that's MythTV compatible

David Watkins watkinshome at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 16:31:34 UTC 2020

On Thu, 3 Dec 2020 at 14:33, Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz>
wrote:

> On Thu, 3 Dec 2020 12:27:31 +0000, you wrote:
>

> >> What are your HD recording filesizes, in GB/hour?
> >
> >In the UK I generally see 1.3GB to 2GB/hour
> >
> >SD is normally around 750MB/hour
> >
> >It can vary significantly though depending on the channel and programme.
> >Should be a reasonable indication of the compression.
>
> If that is H.265 it might be ok, but if it is H.264 then it is not
> what I would call HD.  Here in New Zealand our DVB-T HD programmes
> (H.264) are over 3 Gibytes per hour.  But when they first started,
> when there were fewer channels, they were 4.5-5.5 Gibytes per hour.
> And recently the only satellite service (Sky TV NZ) has converted all
> their transponders from DVB-S to DVB-S2 and a number of their channels
> are now around 4 Gibytes per hour.

That's interesting. What I said is typical of what I'm getting though here
in the UK.

[image: image.png]

I wonder if I should be getting 1080?

My TV is 42" 1080. So not so big, and my old eyes are fairly happy with the
HD quality I'm getting.  The only thing I find poor is large black areas,
which can be very blocky.

I can feel a bit of research coming on.