[mythtv-users] Videos in database not appearing in UI

Paul Harrison mythtv at sky.com
Mon Jun 24 01:09:52 UTC 2019

On 24/06/2019 00:43, jam at tigger.ws wrote:

> On 23 Jun 2019, at 8:00 pm, mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org wrote:
>>
>> I think the idea of the checksum is to avoid loosing metadata when
>> videos are moved. What is supposed to happen is if a video is moved
>> within the file system then MythVideo should detect that and update the
>> location of the video in the database keeping the original metadata
>> intact. If you think it's broken why not provide a patch to fix it,
>> clearly you have the ability?
> I hated my once-upon-a-time software manager for his anal insistance on a SDD (software design document) but how I miss one for myth. There are clever people working an myth and I find the gestalt overwhelming.
>
> To move files around the file system I always have:
>
> ln video new/place/video
> mythtv->etc [d]elete video
> scan
> reget metadata
>
> Are you saying
> mv video new/place
> scan
>
> The reason for asking not just trying is bitter experience with stuffing-up the database videos dissapear et al
>
> James

Yes I believe that is the way it should work. That assumes you have a
properly setup system, ie don't use both legacy video directory and
video storage groups and don't have duplicate files every where.

I should say I rarely use MythVideo myself but can't remember ever
having a problem scanning.

Paul H.