[mythtv-users] Videos in database not appearing in UI

jam at tigger.ws jam at tigger.ws
Sun Jun 23 23:43:12 UTC 2019

> On 23 Jun 2019, at 8:00 pm, mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org wrote:
>
>>> Been looking at this for a few days to no avail.
>>> I've used the FE Video function for many years to scan my MBE hard drive
>>> using mythutil --scanvideos and have a cron job that runs in the background.
>>>
>>> Every so often, *some* directories just don't show up in the UI.  I can see
>>> them on disk and in the videometadata table in mysql.  File permissions are
>>> identical to the videos that do show up.  This happened this week.  Was
>>> watching a video on Monday night, come back a few days later and the wife
>>> reports that "it's gone".  The only changes during that time was to move an
>>> old linux FE to a fire stick 4k (different FE from where the issue
>>> occurred).
>>>
>>> FWIW, I see the exact same output when I go into the Myth WebFrontent on my
>>> MBE IP (Videos -> Video Gallery).  Given that, it does not appear to be a
>>> FE specific issue.
>>>
>>> MBE is 30 fixes (just upgraded to b9c1b41a6c today on the MBE) , FE are
>>> Fire Stick 4ks
>>>
>>> I don't mind digging into code, debugging, etc, but I'm not quite sure
>>> where to start
>> IMveryHO the whole issue of not scanning a video twice based on it?s checksum is a design blunder. Like thee it caused me many moments of great angst
>>
>> You can scan an empty directory, then your real. videos to reset the DB and have a clean start.
>> The problem is this will wipe your metadata.
>>
>> I wrote a small utility to scan the video directory looking for duplicates (which are quite easy to get IIEC the checksum is 16 bit. I used QT to make a console app so the usual qmake, make sequence.
>> Mail me if you?d like a copy.
>>
>> Using this you can find and descide what to do with dups. Shotcut is your friend
>> James
>

> I think the idea of the checksum is to avoid loosing metadata when
> videos are moved. What is supposed to happen is if a video is moved
> within the file system then MythVideo should detect that and update the
> location of the video in the database keeping the original metadata
> intact. If you think it's broken why not provide a patch to fix it,
> clearly you have the ability?

I hated my once-upon-a-time software manager for his anal insistance on a SDD (software design document) but how I miss one for myth. There are clever people working an myth and I find the gestalt overwhelming.

To move files around the file system I always have:

ln video new/place/video
mythtv->etc [d]elete video
scan
reget metadata

Are you saying
mv video new/place
scan

The reason for asking not just trying is bitter experience with stuffing-up the database videos dissapear et al

James