[mythtv-users] Avoid kernel 5.1.x if you use an HD-PVR

Keith Pyle kpyle at austin.rr.com
Mon Jun 17 00:48:02 UTC 2019

We recently installed kernel 5.1.8 on our Myth backend and encountered a
hard deadlock in the hdpvr driver.  (It also happens on 5.1.10.)  It is
very reproducible and requires nothing more than reading from the HD-PVR
(normal capture), even with cat. The process reading from the HD-PVR
becomes unkillable.  A reboot is required to restore use.

Some initial investigation suggests that there is a mutex deadlock in
the hdpvr code.  I've posted a report on the linux-media mailing list
asking for assistance.

Myth users with an HD-PVR may wish to avoid upgrading to a 5.1 kernel
for a bit.  There are no pending patches that we could find, so higher
kernel versions likely have the same problem at this time.  I don't yet
know exactly which kernel introduced the problem, only that 4.1.13 does
not show this problem.