[mythtv-users] AVSync2 with sports

Tim Pletcher pletchtd at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 01:39:25 UTC 2019

> I wonder if this could have been the LiveTV problem of not catching up
> after being started. Try pressing pause for a couple of seconds and then
> unpause. There is a bug with Live TV and AVSync2 that was fixed in a
> patch yesterday - after that patch you will no longer need to pause and
> unpause to get it smooth, although it may take a minute or so to smooth
> out after starting play.

I got a chance to play around with this some more tonight after updating to
the latest v30-fixes.  I still find that AVSync2 was not as smooth as
AVSync at the default sync setting of 10 but it seemed to be improved as I
further reduced the sync value to the minimum setting of 1.

With AVSync2 while watching LiveTV, I also noticed in playback data that
the frames decoded / free  and the framerate standard deviation are quite
different if I just start watching the channel vs watching after a brief
pause. In the case of tuning and watching, the frames decoded / free
fluctuate up down around a center point of 20/10 and the framerate standard
deviation looks wider to my eye.  If I just briefly press pause and then
resume, the frames decoded / free sit consistently at 30/1 (program was
1080i @ 29.97 fps) and the standard deviation of the framerate looks to be
smaller fluctuating only a few tenths of a frame. After the pause, these
parameters remain consistent way even if I press fast-forward to try and
catch back up to live.

Tim