[mythtv-users] HD playback problem w/ kernel version

Mark Brown mbrown at wheelgroup.org
Mon Feb 11 20:56:13 UTC 2019

Hey, sorry for the delay in responding.  I booted my fc29 front end to
kernel 4.20.6-200 and hd playback was still severely choppy.  I verified
that mythfrontend is indeed using vaapi (m > playback > playback data), but
playback still suffers.  Changed vid scan to progressive as you suggested,
and it improved playback some, but still to choppy to live with.  Rebooted
fc 29 front end to kernel 4.18.16-300, and all is well again, all playback
is smooth and works fine.  For me the problem began late in fc28 when the
first kernel 4.19 came on the scene.  I upgraded the front end to fc29, but
that again only works great when its using the 4.18 series kernel.  Id be
interested in what you see if you put the 4.18 kernel on your fresh fc29
laptop and see if your playback is improved...

Thanks,
-M