[mythtv-users] Complication(s) with display upgrade - need help

Craig Huff huffcslists at gmail.com
Sun Mar 18 20:38:43 UTC 2018

On Sun, Mar 18, 2018 at 3:29 PM, Craig Huff <huffcslists at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have an FE running Ubuntu 14.04 and MythBuntu that was connected to a
> CRT TV using composite video from the built-in Nvidia 1650 display
> controller, but the CRT finally died. (Yay?)
>
> I replaced the TV with a new, modern LED 4K HDR display (yeah, one extreme
> to another), but I'm having problems.
>

>    - First: The FE is now connected via a DVI to HDMI adapter to HDMI on
>    the new TV.
>       - The BIOS splash screen and the Ubuntu 14.04 boot screens display
>       successfully on boot up.
>       - Then I get a blinking cursor in the top left corner of the
>       display,
>       - Eventually the TV puts up a display about the signal resolution
>       is incompatible and I need to change it before the TV will display the FE's
>       output.
>       - If I swap the TV for an LED Computer monitor (27" Acer) with the
>       input still via HDMI, I get a successful display of the MythTV main menu
>       page at the end of the boot up process with a resolution of maybe 1920 x
>       1080.
>       - I opened the Nvidia settings application and tried saving that
>       configuration (I think it got written to /etc/X11/xorg.conf) and re-trying
>       to display on the TV, but no joy.
>       - Any advice on how to get this working would be greatly
>       appreciated.
>

>    - Second: Since I'm already here, hat in hand, I might as well
>    anticipate the next problem.
>       - If I understood the data about the DVI to HDMI adapter cable
>       correctly, it won't supply audio to the TV, but there's no separate Audio
>       In connection to the TV, only Audio Out.
>       - Is there a way to get the audio fed into the HDMI cable like
>       "normal" devices do -- maybe an audio / video Y-adapter for HDMI?
>       - Less likely alternative audio input paths include:
>          - A TOS link from the PC to the TV, but the one on the TV is
>          labeled "Out", not "In", and even if that would work, the question becomes
>          how to associate that audio with the correct video input?
>          - USB ports, but with a PC and a TV, who'd be the "master" and
>          who the "client"?
>          - Maybe I started with the wrong approach?  This
>          <https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FXDW2ZY/ref=sspa_dk_detail_2?psc=1>
>          looks like it would be a solution, but I'm wondering if it will work
>          properly for use with MythTV video -- especially on my current Ubuntu 14.04
>          / MythTV v0.27.6?
>
> TIA,
>
> Craig.

Update:  The FE does *not* currently have USB 3.0, but it has spare *PCI*
slots (not PCI-e!).  Maybe I could find a PCI to USB 3.0 adapter?  Or
should I be looking for a different alternative?  Seems that PCI video
adapters with HDMI are as rare as hen's teeth, and maybe more expensive
than their weight in gold.

--
Craig.