[mythtv-users] Complication(s) with display upgrade - need help

Mark Perkins perkins1724 at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 18 21:21:35 UTC 2018

On 19 March 2018 7:10:10 am Craig Huff <huffcslists at gmail.com> wrote:

I have an FE running Ubuntu 14.04 and MythBuntu that was connected to a CRT TV using composite video from the built-in Nvidia 1650 display controller, but the CRT finally died. (Yay?)

I replaced the TV with a new, modern LED 4K HDR display (yeah, one extreme to another), but I'm having problems.

  *   First: The FE is now connected via a DVI to HDMI adapter to HDMI on the new TV.
     *   The BIOS splash screen and the Ubuntu 14.04 boot screens display successfully on boot up.

Try adding nomodeset to the boot options. A quick google suggested something like this:
quiet splash acpi=off nolapic nomodeset

That should allow further debugging / investigation.

     *
     *   Then I get a blinking cursor in the top left corner of the display,
     *   Eventually the TV puts up a display about the signal resolution is incompatible and I need to change it before the TV will display the FE's output.
     *   If I swap the TV for an LED Computer monitor (27" Acer) with the input still via HDMI, I get a successful display of the MythTV main menu page at the end of the boot up process with a resolution of maybe 1920 x 1080.
     *   I opened the Nvidia settings application and tried saving that configuration (I think it got written to /etc/X11/xorg.conf) and re-trying to display on the TV, but no joy.
     *   Any advice on how to get this working would be greatly appreciated.

  *   Second: Since I'm already here, hat in hand, I might as well anticipate the next problem.
     *   If I understood the data about the DVI to HDMI adapter cable correctly, it won't supply audio to the TV, but there's no separate Audio In connection to the TV, only Audio Out.
     *   Is there a way to get the audio fed into the HDMI cable like "normal" devices do -- maybe an audio / video Y-adapter for HDMI?
     *   Less likely alternative audio input paths include:
        *   A TOS link from the PC to the TV, but the one on the TV is labeled "Out", not "In", and even if that would work, the question becomes how to associate that audio with the correct video input?
        *   USB ports, but with a PC and a TV, who'd be the "master" and who the "client"?
        *   Maybe I started with the wrong approach?  This<https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FXDW2ZY/ref=sspa_dk_detail_2?psc=1> looks like it would be a solution, but I'm wondering if it will work properly for use with MythTV video -- especially on my current Ubuntu 14.04 / MythTV v0.27.6?

What model is the TV? It would be unlikely / unlucky to not have separate audio in?