[mythtv-users] Sony Android TV does not play AVC [h.264] recordings from MythTV UPNP - but from MiniDLNA

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 01:45:47 UTC 2018

On Sun, Jun 17, 2018 at 8:30 PM David Engel <david at istwok.net> wrote:
> I know.  However, even with hardware, video decoding, the rest of
> MythTV is not very lean.   I would not be very surprised if the MythTV
> GUI and OSD are pretty slugish.

I parsed Peters statement as "anything that plays", and
replied to that part, and not to the UI (which I would agree
may end up slow on the lower end SoCs on devices
that run Android).  My bad?

>  ... I would also not be very surprised if
> there isn't any hardware deinterlacing.

I have seen the Shield do proper hardware MCDI
(it uses the same GPU/VPU pipeline as some of
their desktop GPUs).  It is, however, one of the
exceptions in the Android world, as most of the
SoCs running Android cannot do MCDI.  Whether
that matters, of course. depends on if your sources
are interlaced, whether you are one of those that
can even perceive artifacts, whether you are rendering
to a device where you can see artifacts (possibly not
on a 4" display, possibly yes on an 80" OLED), and
whether you value quality (over cheap).  The Sony
hardware *can* do MCDI (otherwise their US OTA
experience would look terrible), but I do not know if
their framework can use it (I seem to recall even with
the Shield there were issues using the MCDI capability
during various early OS variants).