[mythtv-users] Sony Android TV does not play AVC [h.264] recordings from MythTV UPNP - but from MiniDLNA

David Engel david at istwok.net
Sun Jun 17 20:29:02 UTC 2018

On Sun, Jun 17, 2018 at 07:47:55PM +0000, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 17, 2018 at 6:52 PM David Engel <david at istwok.net> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Jun 17, 2018 at 02:16:11PM -0400, Peter Bennett wrote:
> > > ...  Anything that plays in MythTV should play in the android build.
>
> > I'm not as optimistic.  The SOCs used in those TVs with built in
> > Android TV support are notoriously weak have limited RAM and storage
> > space.
>
> I suspect that Peter was referencing those things that have
> hardware (mediacodec) support on the platform (or are of
> extremely low complexity), which will not be all content
> (or even consistent across platforms).  The Shield TV has

I know.  However, even with hardware, video decoding, the rest of
MythTV is not very lean.  I would not be very surprised if the MythTV
GUI and OSD are pretty slugish.  I would also not be very surprised if
there isn't any hardware deinterlacing.  The TV's main chipset will
support deinterlacing, but I doubt the Android TV SOC will be able to
use it.

David