[mythtv-users] Sony Android TV does not play AVC [h.264] recordings from MythTV UPNP - but from MiniDLNA

David Engel david at istwok.net
Mon Jun 18 02:37:37 UTC 2018

On Mon, Jun 18, 2018 at 01:45:47AM +0000, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 17, 2018 at 8:30 PM David Engel <david at istwok.net> wrote:
> > I know.  However, even with hardware, video decoding, the rest of
> > MythTV is not very lean.   I would not be very surprised if the MythTV
> > GUI and OSD are pretty slugish.
>
> I parsed Peters statement as "anything that plays", and
> replied to that part, and not to the UI (which I would agree
> may end up slow on the lower end SoCs on devices
> that run Android).  My bad?

No problem.  I'm probably just a little more sensitive than most to
some of these issues.  Last holiday season, when I was getting excited
about Mark's resurrection of the Android port and thinking about
getting an Nvidia Shield, I was also in the market for a budget TV for
my office.  When I heard about some TVs with built in Android TV
support, I briefly considered getting one of them instead of a TV and
a Shield.  That idea quickly died after reading how anemic the Android
part of those systems really were.  They're fine for switching HDMI
inputs and running built in, popular, streaming apps where the video
is already preconverted to friendly format, but not much else.

David