[mythtv-users] HLS guide data from SD feed

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Tue Feb 27 14:12:35 UTC 2018

On Tue, 27 Feb 2018 06:32:09 -0500, you wrote:

>On Tue, 2018-02-27 at 20:09 +1300, Stephen Worthington wrote:
>>
>> You need to configure the EPG to be used on the source that you
>> create
>> for your IPTV channels.  In mythtv-setup, go to "Video sources",
>> select the IPTV source, then set the "Listings grabber" option.
>
>Can't I just reuse the source I have linked to the capture card that is
>attached to my cable box in Input connections rather than creating a
>duplicate Video source?

No.  All tuners on a source have to be able to receive all channels on
that source.

>Does the channel number in my .m3u file need to be the same as the
>channel on my cable or does the xmltvid take care of getting the right
>data for the channel regardless of it's numberical (can callsign?)
>designation?

Channel numbers are whatever you want them to be.  They are used for
the user interface only.  Internally, a channel is identified by its
chanid value, not the channel number.

For scheduling, the callsign is what is used to match channels - so if
you can receive the same channel on two different sources, you can use
the same callsign on both sources and the scheduler will decide which
one to use when, based on the priority settings.  I think channels
with the same callsign can have different channel numbers, so that you
can select them separately from the user interface.  But I have never
actually done that.

>> The .m3u file you have above will not work
>
>It does though.
>
>>  - the URLs in the .m3u file
>> for MythTV need to be the direct URLs for the channel, not a further
>> .m3u format file.
>
>That seems to contradict the example at:
>
>https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/User_Manual:Setting_up_HTTP_Live_Streaming_Recorder#HLS_Recorder_Playlist
>
>> So you need to download a copy of the master1.m3u8
>> file using wget:
>>
>> wget --no-check-certificate
>> https://cbclivedai5-i.akamaihd.net/hls/live/567235/event2/CBOT/master
>> 1.m3u8
>>
>> and then find the correct URL inside that file to use in the MythTV
>> .m3u file.
>
>Yeah, I don't think that is how this .m3u8 is working.  The URLs in it
>are not a list of choices (i.e. copies of the same stream at different
>resolutions/bitrates/etc.) to fetch from but rather the stream
>"chunked" up into different URLs they are used round-robin to fetch the
>stream.
>
>Cheers,
>b.

Yes, it is hard to argue with success!  It looks like MythTV can
handle that sort of .m3u file just fine.  I have not been actually
using the IPTV tuners for real Internet based IPTV, just to talk to
minisatip for my pay satellite channels.  So I have never encountered
the chunked setup that seems to be used for HLS encoded IPTV.