[mythtv-users] HLS guide data from SD feed

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Tue Feb 27 11:32:09 UTC 2018

On Tue, 2018-02-27 at 20:09 +1300, Stephen Worthington wrote:

> You need to configure the EPG to be used on the source that you
> create
> for your IPTV channels.  In mythtv-setup, go to "Video sources",
> select the IPTV source, then set the "Listings grabber" option.

Can't I just reuse the source I have linked to the capture card that is
attached to my cable box in Input connections rather than creating a
duplicate Video source?

Does the channel number in my .m3u file need to be the same as the
channel on my cable or does the xmltvid take care of getting the right
data for the channel regardless of it's numberical (can callsign?)
designation?

> The .m3u file you have above will not work

It does though.

>  - the URLs in the .m3u file
> for MythTV need to be the direct URLs for the channel, not a further
> .m3u format file.

That seems to contradict the example at:

https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/User_Manual:Setting_up_HTTP_Live_Streaming_Recorder#HLS_Recorder_Playlist

> So you need to download a copy of the master1.m3u8
> file using wget:
>
> wget --no-check-certificate
> https://cbclivedai5-i.akamaihd.net/hls/live/567235/event2/CBOT/master
> 1.m3u8
>
> and then find the correct URL inside that file to use in the MythTV
> .m3u file.

Yeah, I don't think that is how this .m3u8 is working.  The URLs in it
are not a list of choices (i.e. copies of the same stream at different
resolutions/bitrates/etc.) to fetch from but rather the stream
"chunked" up into different URLs they are used round-robin to fetch the
stream.

Cheers,
b.