[mythtv-users] nvidia for RH derived distros - was Indoor HD antenna question

John Pilkington johnpilk222 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 11:11:41 UTC 2018

On 20/04/18 04:08, Ashu Desai wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 19, 2018 at 1:39 PM John Pilkington <johnpilk222 at gmail.com
> <mailto:johnpilk222 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Still trying to get used to gmail with ipop.  Deleted message
>     instead of
>     replying.
>
>     Installing the nVidia drivers can be confusing.  Here's a fairly recent
>     howto
>
>     https://rpmfusion.org/Howto/NVIDIA
>

> This is a GREAT walk through. However, before getting this email I had
> just downloaded and installed the Nvidia and tried doing the sh
> ./Nvidia-xxxx which didnt work
>
> then I blacklisted Nouveau > /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
>
> dracut /boot/initramfs-$(uname -r).img $(uname -r)
>
> Did a disable gdm
>
> restarted - and now i find that while the graphics didn't come up, so
> did my networking!
>
> I try to restart the network service and it keep saying file exists -
> and it doesn't find my wired ethernet under ifconfig
>
> Now at this point i am trying to reverse my steps

I don't know what has caused this; but I have the impression that on an
up-to-date system nouveau and the rpmfusion-nvidia builds will each work
as intended if they were the last video drivers installed.  If/when you
get network access again just reinstall the driver you need, and reboot.
   No fancy stuff, but the module for the right kernel may take a few
minutes to build.