[mythtv-users] Indoor HD antenna question

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Fri Apr 13 04:02:54 UTC 2018

On Fri, 13 Apr 2018 00:55:11 +0000, you wrote:

>FIrst - my apologies - i was out of town for the whole week and couldn't
>reply back. So let me start off by saying that when I put the antenna
>directly in my TV - i get all the OTA channels (except CBS - channel 2) and
>this is without fiddling with this. So as far as the signals go - seems the
>signals and the antenna are doing great job.
>
>This brings now to it working with MythTV. I think the problem may be
>getting "drivers" for it? Not sure how to get mythtv-setup to recognize it.
>
>SO my question here is - how do I confirm my input card is working? I have
>PVR-150 as well as AverTVHD. Here is what I get when I try to find it:
>
> lspci -vvnn | grep Aver
>        Subsystem: Avermedia Technologies Inc AVerTVHD MCE A180 [1461:1044]
>pcilib: sysfs_read_vpd: read failed: Connection timed out
>
>lspci -vvnn | grep PVR
>        Subsystem: Hauppauge computer works Inc. WinTV PVR 150 [0070:8801]
>pcilib: sysfs_read_vpd: read failed: Connection timed out
>
>With my limited knowledge, I went to dmesg and here's what I found:
>
>ivtv 0000:03:01.0: firmware: requesting v4l-cx2341x-enc.fw
>ivtv0: Loaded v4l-cx2341x-enc.fw firmware (376836 bytes)
>ivtv0: Encoder revision: 0x02060039
>cx25840 18-0044: firmware: requesting v4l-cx25840.fw
>nxt2004: Firmware upload complete
>saa7134_alsa: disagrees about version of symbol snd_ctl_add
>saa7134_alsa: Unknown symbol snd_ctl_add
>saa7134_alsa: disagrees about version of symbol snd_pcm_new
>saa7134_alsa: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_new
>saa7134_alsa: disagrees about version of symbol snd_card_register
>saa7134_alsa: Unknown symbol snd_card_register
>saa7134_alsa: disagrees about version of symbol snd_card_free
>saa7134_alsa: Unknown symbol snd_card_free
>saa7134_alsa: disagrees about version of symbol snd_pcm_stop
>saa7134_alsa: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_stop
>saa7134_alsa: disagrees about version of symbol snd_ctl_new1
>saa7134_alsa: Unknown symbol snd_ctl_new1
>saa7134_alsa: disagrees about version of symbol snd_pcm_lib_ioctl
>saa7134_alsa: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_lib_ioctl
>saa7134_alsa: disagrees about version of symbol snd_ctl_notify
>saa7134_alsa: Unknown symbol snd_ctl_notify
>saa7134_alsa: disagrees about version of symbol snd_pcm_set_ops
>saa7134_alsa: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_set_ops
>saa7134_alsa: disagrees about version of symbol
>snd_pcm_hw_constraint_integer
>saa7134_alsa: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_hw_constraint_integer
>saa7134_alsa: disagrees about version of symbol snd_card_create
>saa7134_alsa: Unknown symbol snd_card_create
>saa7134_alsa: disagrees about version of symbol snd_pcm_period_elapsed
>saa7134_alsa: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_period_elapsed
>saa7134_alsa: disagrees about version of symbol snd_pcm_hw_constraint_step
>saa7134_alsa: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_hw_constraint_step
>cx25840 18-0044: loaded v4l-cx25840.fw firmware (16382 bytes)
>EXT4-fs (sdb1): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode. Opts:
>EXT4-fs (dm-2): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode. Opts:
> [...]

The PVR-150 card is an old analogue TV card, so it is not relevant.

Your drivers may not be installing properly - the messages about
"saa7134" could be about your AverTVHD card.  This page tells you
about that card:

https://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/AVerMedia_AVerTVHD_MCE_A180

However, yours seems to be a slightly different version, as it comes
up with the ID numbers 1461:1044 instead of 1131:7133.

So it should be a DVB-T card, with one tuner.  If you have no other
digital TV tuners, it should produce a single /dev/dvb/adapter0 device
that looks like this:

root at mypvr:~# ls -ald /dev/dvb/adapter0
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 120 Apr 11 00:46 /dev/dvb/adapter0

root at mypvr:~# ls -ald /dev/dvb/adapter0/*
crw-rw----+ 1 root video 212, 32 Apr 11 00:46 /dev/dvb/adapter0/demux0
crw-rw----+ 1 root video 212, 33 Apr 11 00:46 /dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0
crw-rw----+ 1 root video 212, 35 Apr 11 00:46
/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0
crw-rw----+ 1 root video 212, 34 Apr 11 00:46 /dev/dvb/adapter0/net0

I am not sure if the net0 device is necessary, but the other three
are.  If your drivers are only partially loading, you will likely see
the frontend0 device being missing.  If your drivers are not loading
at all, then the entire /dev/dvb/adapter0 directory will be missing.

When you get messages like the ones you are getting such as "disagrees
about version of symbol snd_ctl_add" and then "Unknown symbol
snd_ctl_add", it normally means that your drivers are not compatible
with your kernel version and need to be recompiled for the current
kernel.  The symbol table for that symbol now says it has a different
size or format in the kernel from what your driver file has in its
symbol table.  Since the drivers for your card are supposed to be
built into the kernel, that should not be happening.

However, it is possible that those messages are referring to a
different device, as you did not post enough of your logs to be able
to tell.  It might be a good idea to post the entire section of the
logs from start of bootup until the system is running.  Put it on
pastebin.com and post a link.

Is it possible you have other DVB devices in that PC?  The name
"Air2PC v2" does not match an AverMedia card.  That name appears to be
for a TecniSat ATSC USB tuner for the US market:

https://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/TechniSat_Air2PC-ATSC-USB

What does this command show:

ls -al /dev/dvb

So where are you - are you trying to receive DVB-T signals (eg UK,
Europe, Australia, New Zealand) or are you trying to receive ATSC
(USA)?