[mythtv-users] Indoor HD antenna question

Ashu Desai ashu.desai at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 14:26:59 UTC 2018

On Thu, Apr 12, 2018 at 11:03 PM Stephen Worthington <
stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> [...]
> >

> >So - my question is - what do I attach this HD antenna to? I am thinking
> >AverMediaHD (and NOT the PVR-150?)
> >
> >Do I absolutely need Schedules Direct subscription for this?
> >>
> >> No.  SchedulesDirect is extremely helpful for the recording but
> >> essentially has nothing to do with the reception.
> >>
> >Yes I figured that - but I meant if Myth doesn't know which programs are
> >currently going on, then maybe i won't be able to record it  but I digress
> >at this point.  First thing for me is to make sure the antenna can see
> >proper channels. Which one do I attach the antenna do if I don't have
> >Schedules Direct? I need to tie something so it will allow me to do a
> >channel scan...
> >

> >> Here is what I have done (to zero value)
> >>
> >>    1. Added antenna to the backend.
> >>    2. Went to mythtv-setup - selected card type as "DVB-T/S/C, ATSC or
> >>    ISDB-T"
> >>       1. This brought the DVB device type as /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0
> >>       2. Frontend ID came to: Air2PC v2
> >>    3. No channels found on scan.
> >> I am sure I am doing something wrong - so looking for help here
>
> The PVR-150 card is an old analogue TV card, so it is not relevant.
>
> Your drivers may not be installing properly - the messages about
> "saa7134" could be about your AverTVHD card.  This page tells you
> about that card:
>
> https://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/AVerMedia_AVerTVHD_MCE_A180
>
> However, yours seems to be a slightly different version, as it comes
> up with the ID numbers 1461:1044 instead of 1131:7133.
>
> So it should be a DVB-T card, with one tuner.  If you have no other
> digital TV tuners, it should produce a single /dev/dvb/adapter0 device
> that looks like this:
>
> root at mypvr:~# ls -ald /dev/dvb/adapter0
> drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 120 Apr 11 00:46 /dev/dvb/adapter0

root at mypvr:~# ls -ald /dev/dvb/adapter0/*
> crw-rw----+ 1 root video 212, 32 Apr 11 00:46 /dev/dvb/adapter0/demux0
> crw-rw----+ 1 root video 212, 33 Apr 11 00:46 /dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0
> crw-rw----+ 1 root video 212, 35 Apr 11 00:46
> /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0
> crw-rw----+ 1 root video 212, 34 Apr 11 00:46 /dev/dvb/adapter0/net0
>

> I am not sure if the net0 device is necessary, but the other three
> are.  If your drivers are only partially loading, you will likely see
> the frontend0 device being missing.  If your drivers are not loading
> at all, then the entire /dev/dvb/adapter0 directory will be missing.
>

> When you get messages like the ones you are getting such as "disagrees
> about version of symbol snd_ctl_add" and then "Unknown symbol
> snd_ctl_add", it normally means that your drivers are not compatible
> with your kernel version and need to be recompiled for the current
> kernel.  The symbol table for that symbol now says it has a different
> size or format in the kernel from what your driver file has in its
> symbol table.  Since the drivers for your card are supposed to be
> built into the kernel, that should not be happening.

Is this maybe because the antenna wasn't connected at the time? Or should
the driviers showing up regardless?

> However, it is possible that those messages are referring to a
> different device, as you did not post enough of your logs to be able
> to tell.  It might be a good idea to post the entire section of the
> logs from start of bootup until the system is running.  Put it on
> pastebin.com and post a link.
>
> Is it possible you have other DVB devices in that PC?  The name
> "Air2PC v2" does not match an AverMedia card.  That name appears to be
> for a TecniSat ATSC USB tuner for the US market:
>
> https://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/TechniSat_Air2PC-ATSC-USB
>
> What does this command show:
>
> ls -al /dev/dvb

ls -al /dev/dvb
total 0
drwxr-xr-x  3 root root   60 Mar 29 04:37 .
drwxr-xr-x 23 root root 4140 Apr  9 20:01 ..
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root  120 Mar 29 04:37 adapter0

> So where are you - are you trying to receive DVB-T signals (eg UK,
> Europe, Australia, New Zealand) or are you trying to receive ATSC
> (USA)?

I am in US - Chicago area.