[mythtv-users] Indoor HD antenna question

Daryl McDonald darylangela at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 02:47:44 UTC 2018

On Thu, Apr 12, 2018 at 8:55 PM, Ashu Desai <ashu.desai at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> saa7134_alsa: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_period_elapsed
> saa7134_alsa: disagrees about version of symbol snd_pcm_hw_constraint_step
> saa7134_alsa: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_hw_constraint_step
> cx25840 18-0044: loaded v4l-cx25840.fw firmware (16382 bytes)
> EXT4-fs (sdb1): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode. Opts:
> EXT4-fs (dm-2): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode. Opts:
> SGI XFS with ACLs, security attributes, large block/inode numbers, no
> debug enabled
> SGI XFS Quota Management subsystem
> Adding 5865464k swap on /dev/mapper/vg_mythbe-lv_swap.  Priority:-1
> extents:1 across:5865464k
>

> So - my question is - what do I attach this HD antenna to? I am thinking
> AverMediaHD (and NOT the PVR-150?)
>
> Do I absolutely need Schedules Direct subscription for this?
>>
>> No.  SchedulesDirect is extremely helpful for the recording but
>> essentially has nothing to do with the reception.
>>
> Yes I figured that - but I meant if Myth doesn't know which programs are
> currently going on, then maybe i won't be able to record it  but I digress
> at this point.  First thing for me is to make sure the antenna can see
> proper channels. Which one do I attach the antenna do if I don't have
> Schedules Direct? I need to tie something so it will allow me to do a
> channel scan...
>

>> Here is what I have done (to zero value)
>>
>>    1. Added antenna to the backend.
>>    2. Went to mythtv-setup - selected card type as "DVB-T/S/C, ATSC or
>>    ISDB-T"
>>       1. This brought the DVB device type as /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0
>>       2. Frontend ID came to: Air2PC v2
>>    3. No channels found on scan.
>> I am sure I am doing something wrong - so looking for help here
>>
>> Uh, yeah! Something's wrong!  I found Curtis Gadak's guide to be
>> extremely useful:
>>
>> http://gedakc.users.sourceforge.net/display-doc.php?name=pvr-install-
>> mythbuntu1404  <http://gedakc.users.sourceforge.net/index.php>
>>
>> Yes, the link is for 14.04 but reasonably accurate for when I did my
>> 16.04 installs.   Take note of Section I if you are using a HVR-2250
>> capture card, otherwise you can probably start at Section X (Configure
>> MythTV Backend).  One thing I found a hare confusing at first as he talks
>> about both OTA and Shaw Cable, I needed to highlight the OTA sections to
>> keep the two separate.
>>

> I get  /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0 and Hauppauge options.
>
> I think your "2. Card Type" is correct as "T" is 'terrestrial' and 'ATSC'
>> is the TV format used here in the U.S., through almost seems too generic as
>> also allowing options for "S"atellite and "C"able.
>>
>> The "Air2 PC v2" seems wrong.  I think it's a more human-generated option
>> like Curtis' "HD Antenna" and "Shaw Cable" options.  The "Air2 PC v2"
>> sounds like perhaps a piece of software's second version -- poor example
>> but almost like you're trying to have MythTV look at MythTV when it should

If I'm not mistaken the PVR 150 is an analog card and will not be able to
see digital transmissions picked up by your antenna.
Where you see this "/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0" on the same page should
appear some card specific info, indicating that the card is opened, then it
is a matter of choosing the correct tuning parameters, I believe on the