[mythtv-users] mythlcdserver 0.28.1: Display freezes during playback

Mike Holden mikeholden99+mythtv at gmail.com
Thu Sep 28 06:15:21 UTC 2017

On 28 September 2017 at 15:35, Thomas Börkel <thomas at boerkel.de> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> mythlcdserver 0.27.6 worked fine for me with lcdproc 0.5.2.
>
> Since upgrading to 0.28.1, the display freezes after a few seconds of
> playback, meaning it is not updated anymore.
>
> I can reproduce it with the lcdproc curses driver also. There it takes
> one or two jumps forward in playback and then it freezes.
>
> I see nothing in mythfrontend or mythlcdserver logs, only when killing
> mythlcdserver.
>
> When I kill and restart mythlcdserver, then mythfrontend reconnects, but
> still does not update during the ongoing playback.
>
> When I leave playback, the display is updated again when browsing the menu.
>
> Any hints?

Just a "Me Too" here, although my symptoms seem slightly different.

For me, I only get issues in Videos, not in Recordings. We watch a lot more
Recordings, but it hasn't locked up once, only when playing Videos, which
are a mixture of mp4, avi and mkv, so probably no consistency in video
format/codec, but not scientifically tested.

When it freezes, it locks up the LCD entirely. At first, restarting
mythlcdserver cleared it, and the frontend restarted the mythlcdserver and
connected to it again, but now it seems to lock up the display completely,
and LCDd seems unkillable. Only a power off clears it.

My initial solution was to kill mythlcdserver once every hour, but this
caused a noticeable and annoying glitch in playback when the frontend
restarted and reconnected to the mythlcdserver, so I stopped that and
switched to an overnight kill. This now appears to not help however, as the
display freezes completely.

This is on Fedora 26 using the latest MythTV from rpmfusion. Backend is on
Fedora 25 using the same myth version, but likely not relevant here.

Only fairly recently resurrected this specific box, so been without
mythlcdserver for a while. Would certainly have been pre 0.28 when it was
previously in use, and it was flawless then.