[mythtv-users] bear of little brain

James Linder jam at tigger.ws
Mon May 29 02:54:20 UTC 2017

The reason for the "Winnie thur Poo" subject is just that this is all
confusing and strange to me, so thanks all for the help (and no thur is
not a typo)

On 28/5/17 8:00 pm, mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org wrote:
> This is what I think is the relevant part about Lion.mkv:
>
>>       Stream #0:2(eng): Subtitle: subrip (default) (forced)
>>       Metadata:
>>         BPS             : 8
>>         BPS-eng         : 8
>>         DURATION        : 01:48:06.069000000
>>         DURATION-eng    : 01:48:06.069000000
>>         NUMBER_OF_FRAMES: 281
>>         NUMBER_OF_FRAMES-eng: 281
>>         NUMBER_OF_BYTES : 6843
>>         NUMBER_OF_BYTES-eng: 6843
>>         _STATISTICS_WRITING_APP: mkvmerge v8.5.2 ('Crosses') 32bit
>>         _STATISTICS_WRITING_APP-eng: mkvmerge v8.5.2 ('Crosses') 32bit
>>         _STATISTICS_WRITING_DATE_UTC: 2017-02-17 10:17:53
>>         _STATISTICS_WRITING_DATE_UTC-eng: 2017-02-17 10:17:53
>>         _STATISTICS_TAGS: BPS DURATION NUMBER_OF_FRAMES NUMBER_OF_BYTES
>>         _STATISTICS_TAGS-eng: BPS DURATION NUMBER_OF_FRAMES NUMBER_OF_BYTES
> It provides details on the subtitle stream in the file. The statistics
> for the number of frames (281) and number of bytes (6843) are way too
> small for a 1 hour and 48 minute movie. If these numbers are correct,
> there's no way this file has useful subtitles.
>
> But, in your original email you said vlc*does*  play them. Which makes
> me wonder if you are asking mythtv and vlc to play the same file.

I play the same file, and it looks the same, on SuSE (my backend
machine) on ubuntu and on mac osx

> It appears you have at least two linux machines: one running suse, the
> other running ubuntu. Do these two machines have identical files? You
> can check the file sizes and use md5sum to verify they are identical. If
> they're not identical, there's your answer. If they are identical, I'm
> at a loss. But here are some things you can experiment with:
>
> Play the file using vlc on the mythtv/ubuntu system. Can it still play
> the subtitles?
>
> Use the same tools on both machines to examine the file. I agree with
> Greg about using mkvtoolnix, although since it looks like there's only
> one subtitle stream/track, I don't think the commands he's suggesting to
> alter which tracks are default and/or forced tracks will make any
> difference. Instead,I suggest using the tools to extract the subtitles
> and verify the actual size of the subtitle track/stream. Here's how:
>
> Run the command:
> $ mkvmerge --identify Lion.mkv
> It should produce output like:
> File 'Lion.mkv': container: Matroska
> Track ID 0: video (MPEG-4p10/AVC/h.264)
> Track ID 1: audio ((AC3/EAC3)
> Track ID 2: subtitles (SubRip/SRT)
> Chapters: X entries
> Global tags: Y entries
[sandypit] /home/jam [999]% mkvmerge --identify /store/Movies/Myth/Lion\
2016\ 1080p\ WEB-DL\ x264\ AC3-JYK.mkv
File '/store/Movies/Myth/Lion 2016 1080p WEB-DL x264 AC3-JYK.mkv':
container: Matroska
Track ID 0: video (MPEG-4p10/AVC/h.264)
Track ID 1: audio (AC-3/E-AC-3)
Track ID 2: subtitles (SubRip/SRT)
Chapters: 11 entries
[sandypit] /home/jam [1000]%

> What's important is the track number for the subtitles track. In the
> above example, it's 2, and I suspect it will be 2 for your Lion.mkv. Use
> that number in the following command:
> mkvextract tracks "Lion.mkv" "2:Lion.srt"
> This will extract the subtitles into a file called Lion.srt. If the
> statistics mythffprobe printed are correct, that file will be about 6840
> bytes in size, it will be a text file, and the last few lines will look
> something like:

    281

    01:00:47,010 --> 01:00:48,711
    Some text displayed at the above timestamp.
    (Gee Thunderbird is a ratty mailer)

[sandypit] /home/jam [1004]% ll Lion.srt
-rw-r--r-- 1 jam users 16782 May 29 10:21 Lion.srt
[sandypit] /home/jam [1005]% tail -5 Lion.srt

281
01:51:01,494 --> 01:51:02,954
Oh, you're gonna fall!

So:
The subtitle file size does not match
The subtitle file format seems OK
The backend and tools are compiled with libxvid
Subtitles do not display with myth

What am I doing wrong? I can display VLC output on the TV (where my wife
wants it) but the rendering is jerky enough to irritate.
James