[mythtv-users] bear of little brain

Peter Bennett cats22 at comcast.net
Sun May 28 14:47:33 UTC 2017

On 05/25/2017 11:06 PM, James Linder wrote:
>   Hi
> could a kind sole explain to me please:
>
> I have an indian film with english subtitles embedded in a mkv
> container. Neither my samsung tv or myth or myth pnp will play the
> subtitles.
> VLC *does* play them.
>
> I have a film in an avi container  with embedded subtitles. Myth and
> upnp as well as the samsung *do* play the subtitles.
>
> mythtranscode chokes. but ffmpeg (the ubuntu 14.04 sorry about that
> (avconv) version) works without complaint when transcoding from mkv to
> avi container.
> The new avi file does not work.
>
> I am overwhelmed, but what I'm trying to do is play myth with subtitles
I have found some success using ccextractor. ccextractor can recognize
many different types of subtitles.

Download and build it (www.ccextractor.org). It reads your mkv file and
creates a srt file. Place the srt file in the directory where the movie
file is located. It must have the exact same name but with srt extension
instead of mkv. Then, when playing with MythTV, you can select external
subtitles from the menu.

Do not confuse ccextractor with mythccextractor which is installed with
mythtv. mythccextractor is a different program and supports fewer
subtitle types.