[mythtv-users] bear of little brain

James Linder jam at tigger.ws
Mon May 29 10:44:46 UTC 2017

On 29/5/17 5:55 pm, Mike Perkins wrote:
> On 29/05/17 03:54, James Linder wrote:
>> The reason for the "Winnie thur Poo" subject is just that this is all
>> confusing and strange to me, so thanks all for the help (and no thur
>> is not a typo)
>>

>> On 28/5/17 8:00 pm, mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org wrote:
>>> This is what I think is the relevant part about Lion.mkv:

>>> It provides details on the subtitle stream in the file. The statistics
>>> for the number of frames (281) and number of bytes (6843) are way too
>>> small for a 1 hour and 48 minute movie. If these numbers are correct,
>>> there's no way this file has useful subtitles.
>>>
>>> But, in your original email you said vlc*does*  play them. Which makes
>>> me wonder if you are asking mythtv and vlc to play the same file.
>>
>> I play the same file, and it looks the same, on SuSE (my backend
>> machine) on ubuntu and on mac osx
>>

>>> It appears you have at least two linux machines: one running suse, the
>>> other running ubuntu. Do these two machines have identical files? You
>>> can check the file sizes and use md5sum to verify they are
>>> identical. If
>>> they're not identical, there's your answer. If they are identical, I'm
>>> at a loss. But here are some things you can experiment with:
>>>
>>> Play the file using vlc on the mythtv/ubuntu system. Can it still play
>>> the subtitles?
>>>
>>> Use the same tools on both machines to examine the file. I agree with
>>> Greg about using mkvtoolnix, although since it looks like there's only
>>> one subtitle stream/track, I don't think the commands he's
>>> suggesting to
>>> alter which tracks are default and/or forced tracks will make any
>>> difference. Instead,I suggest using the tools to extract the subtitles
>>> and verify the actual size of the subtitle track/stream. Here's how:
>>>
>>> Run the command:
>>> $ mkvmerge --identify Lion.mkv
>>> It should produce output like:
>>> File 'Lion.mkv': container: Matroska
>>> Track ID 0: video (MPEG-4p10/AVC/h.264)
>>> Track ID 1: audio ((AC3/EAC3)
>>> Track ID 2: subtitles (SubRip/SRT)
>>> Chapters: X entries
>>> Global tags: Y entries
>> [sandypit] /home/jam [999]% mkvmerge --identify
>> /store/Movies/Myth/Lion\ 2016\ 1080p\ WEB-DL\ x264\ AC3-JYK.mkv
>> File '/store/Movies/Myth/Lion 2016 1080p WEB-DL x264 AC3-JYK.mkv':
>> container: Matroska
>> Track ID 0: video (MPEG-4p10/AVC/h.264)
>> Track ID 1: audio (AC-3/E-AC-3)
>> Track ID 2: subtitles (SubRip/SRT)
>> Chapters: 11 entries
>> [sandypit] /home/jam [1000]%
>>
>>> What's important is the track number for the subtitles track. In the
>>> above example, it's 2, and I suspect it will be 2 for your Lion.mkv.
>>> Use
>>> that number in the following command:
>>> mkvextract tracks "Lion.mkv" "2:Lion.srt"
>>> This will extract the subtitles into a file called Lion.srt. If the
>>> statistics mythffprobe printed are correct, that file will be about
>>> 6840
> [...]

Mike no such luck
I called the original movie Lion.mkv and generated Lion.srt
I also generated "Lion 2016 1080p WEB-DL x264 AC3-JYK.srt"
scanned videos and had 2 copies, 1 called Lion and 1 called Lion 2016
1080p WEB-DL x264 AC3-JYK
neither played the subtitles and I hereby declare me beaten. Again
thanks for all the input.
James

PS if anyone wants to play I'll post to a high bandwidth download site.