[mythtv-users] using mythtv while traveling

Jim Abernathy jfabernathy at outlook.com
Thu May 25 15:46:27 UTC 2017

On May 25, 2017, at 6:09 AM, Jim Abernathy <jfabernathy at outlook.com<mailto:jfabernathy at outlook.com>> wrote:

On 05/23/2017 11:40 PM, Another Sillyname wrote:
I don't know your hardware setup, but lets assume your OTA is received
by your server using a DVB-T2 card of some description.

In mythtv-setup.

Option 2. Capture Cards - Identify the correct card/device that you
use to received OTA transmissions and add it to your existing cards.

Option 4. Video Sources - Create a new video source, lets call it
DVB-T2-OTA-TEST. Configure this for your listings source.

Option 5. Input Connections - Attach the new Capture Card Device
created above to the new Video Source created above.

Option 6. Channel Editor - Do a channel scan in here using the CORRECT
capture card configured above.  Sort out the received channels.

That should be it.

What I do for the 'combined' DVB-T2 (terrestrial Freeview) and DVB-S2
(satellite) is sit down and work out what method I want to use to
receive which channels (some are duplicated from both services), then
I have a mythmakechannels script which I use to make ALL channels from
ALL services hidden, then selectively turn back on and renumber the
channels I want and the order I want them in.

So for example......

I turn BBC1 on the DVB-T2 feed back on and make it channel 1 (I can
identify the correct BBC1 using the chanid SQL table value which is
created during the scan)

I renumber the channum for the DVB-S2 version of the BBC1 one channels
to a ridiculous high number (99999xxxxxxxxx) and leave it hidden.
This 'gets it out of the way' of valid channel numbers avoiding
accidental conflict with a valid in use channum.

I sit down and do this for ALL the channels in my combined scans, then
create my customised mythmakechannels script (you could create
different 'flavours' of the script for each location) .

Here is a template of the mythmakechannels script, my version is less
complicated but you should be able to use this one to work out your
own specific needs.

https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/UK_Channel_Assignments

Good luck
Just so I don't mess this up.  I have a HVR2250 PCIe card and a
HDHomeRun Connect.  Both are now setup for OTA but the existing Video
source is ScheduleDirect.

Would I just need to Add a Video Source for OTA EPG guide data and then
delete one of the dual tuners connection and add one from the new video
source??

Jim A

I just discovered that I can add multiple channel listing on Schedules Direct by US Zipcode.  Then when I setup the Video Source, I can retrieve the channel listing and then I can pick the listing by Zipcode where I’m located. Scanning for channel get me the new channel list in mythtv.  This might be the easiest and require the least work.

Jim A