[mythtv-users] Transcoding/Commercial Cut User jobs

jrh jharbestonus at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 23:17:57 UTC 2017

> On Fri, Jan 20, 2017 at 6:27 AM, Jim Abernathy <jfabernathy at outlook.com <mailto:jfabernathy at outlook.com>> wrote:
>
> I do exactly what you described you want to do.  You can't trust the commercial breaks completely but they are a big help.  I have learned to use mythfrontend to edit and check the commercials quickly and adjust them appropriately.
>
> I use a script within mythbackend as a job to remove commercials
> that I marked with a cutlist manually and compress the recording by
> converting it from the original MPEG2 to m4v using handbrake. The
> converted file is move to my NAS and the original is not modified. All this is
> handled by sendTVtonas.sh within mythtv. The script has all the install
> information in comments.
> You get the script from the first post in the following topic in the mythtv
> forum:
> Script to export Mythtv recordings to a folder or NAS
>
> https://forum.mythtv.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1261 <https://forum.mythtv.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1261>
>
> Jim A

I added a shell script transcodehb.sh to the wiki:  https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Transcodehb.sh <https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Transcodehb.sh>  that only used 2 arguments besides the input/output
as follows:  --preset=Normal -d slow

the presets just use the normal settings and then adds slow deinterlace.

If you are interested, the later versions of handbrake do give good diagnostics, and I use those to decide whether to keep the transcoding, or dump it and keep the original mpg2 recording. It needs updating for v.28 if you want to use the entire shell as I added it when I was using .27. I have updated the shell for .28, and if you were interested in it for the rest of the shell, I’ll update it. NOTE that the shell currently only does handbrake, and not the transcode used to remove cuts.

Jay