[mythtv-users] Transcoding/Commercial Cut User jobs

Purl, James jamesp at mzrfzr.com
Fri Jan 20 20:22:33 UTC 2017

Tangentially related - I have a custom set of python scripts I wrote (am
still writing?) that I use to "do the right thing".  My goal was to go into
Edit recording, edit / save cutlist (or not) and then start the mythjob,
all from the mythfrontend and end up with a cut H.264 output file
eventually no matter the source recording.  My scripts do the following:

   - Convert to m4v or mkv container with H.264/AVC video, de-interlaced if
   necessary.
   - Keep closed caption/subtitle tracks as selectable subtitles in output
   (including separate .srt files created using the HD-PVR hd-captions-*
   scripts on the MythTV Wiki)
   - Optionally keep all audio languages (I like the descriptive audio
   tracks on some PBS shows such as *American Experience*). Stereo mp3/mp2
   audio tracks are converted to AAC, 5.1 AC3 are preserved with an
   accompanying stereo AAC. If not all audio languages are desired, there's is
   an option to configure the desired language (depends on this info being in
   the source file, of course).
   - Attempts to do some "normalizing" passes with ffmpeg/avconv and
   ProjectX as needed.  For me, ProjectX is usually required on OTA feeds as
   there are almost always blips since I am distant from the towers.  I use
   ffmpeg/avconv/mythffmpeg on HD-PVR recordings.  This was to try to work
   around the "one buffer empty...." issues with mythtranscode (which may not
   exist in 0.28, I wrote these for 0.27 where it did).
   - Options configured in an rc file placed in the user mythbackend runs
   to configure some of the optional things above.
   - Bake in the MythTV Title into the output file's metadata, name the
   output file according to title - season/episode - subtitle (whatever parts
   of that exists for the particular recording).
   - Use cutlist if it exists or not.
   - Can be run as a Myth user job or directly, with the option to override
   many options when running manually.
   - Logging.

I wrote it partially out of need, partially out of a desire to work on my
python skills (including using MythTV python bindings). If there's any
interest (there are already lots of options), I can see about making it
ready for other people's eyes and open-sourcing it.

James Purl - *jamesp at mzrfzr.com <jamesp at mzrfzr.com>*